Come ride with me

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Texas Forever

If you are a DirecTV subscriber, and you have been watching "Friday Night Lights", the last episode was tonite. If not, you will see the last series on NBC in a few weeks. I don't want to give anything away to those who didn't see tonite's episode--but I would encourage you to see it!
I watched it tonite, like I do every Wednesday night.
Tonite I cried...and I smelled the wet grass I used to play on on Friday nights when I played high school football 30 years ago. I was pretty good, good enough to make honorable mention in my league when I played on the offensive line at La Habra High school in La Habra, California. We didn't have a Coach Taylor but we had some guys who actually played D1 football, and we played aginst some future major league players like Gary Carter (New York Mets catcher) and Steve DeBerg (Kansas City Chiefs QB). I actually played against Steven Seagal of Buena Park High School, but he didn't know any kung fu then...
It's funny what you remember...and now when I have time and resources available to travel and climb mountains all over the world, I find it odd that I appreciate home, my kids, my local life more--maybe it's only me...but I think that is 'my' truth of Friday Night Lights: that finding meaning is not far away if you appreciate what you have, and who you played with/or lived the tough times with. I've heard it said, "wherever you go, there you are." Or, you carry what's inside you everwhere.
That doesn't preclude reinventing, it's just being what you would have been...
Yes, "Texas forever".
Come ride with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment